Wool has been used for more than 10,000 years. Wool is a natural fibre that has a number of benefits. So, why wool?
- Wool is a natural insulator to keep you warm in winter and naturally breathable to keep you cool in summer. Mongolians can use their wool in winter under -40 C and in summer when its + 20 C once it is pure as organic wool regulates temperature well.
- Resilience, elastic, durable, breathable and warm. Wool has the ability to easily absorb moisture and also to release moisture thereby always maintaining a perfect balance.
- It’s hypoallergenic meaning that dust mites don’t like wool. They prefer hot humid environments that are more common in synthetic products. Dust mites are the major cause of allergy and asthma suffering.
- Pure wool is fire resistant. When subjected to flames, pure wool will smoulder and extinguish itself.
- When wool is organic, fine and pure, it does not itch. In general, all types of pure wool are capable of absorbing up to a third of their dry weight in moisture.
- Pure wool also has natural anti-microbial properties because bacteria tend to be attracted to smooth positively charged surfaces like those of synthetic fibres. Most synthetic fibres actually increase body odour because they create a breeding ground for bacteria. Sweat itself has no odour, but over time bacteria develop and create unpleasant odours. Pure wool reduces the opportunity for odours to develop because it quickly absorbs sweat and evaporates it into the air.
Visit Mongolian Handicrafts shop to see the products we sell: